Wednesday 4 November 2015

Watch: Melbourne Cup Cop Pushed Into Flower Bed

A woman is caught on camera running over to a police officer at the Melbourne Cup and knocking him into a flower bed.
A woman will be charged with assault after pushing a senior Australian police officer into a flower bed at the Melbourne Cup.

The 25-year-old was caught on camera running up to Acting Superintendent Steven Cooper and knocking him over.

Supt Cooper was about to address the media about crowd behaviour at the Melbourne Cup, Australia's most prestigious horse race.


As he got to his feet, two police colleagues rushed over and arrested the woman.

The incident was captured by TV news crews at the scene.

Supt Cooper told Macquarie Media he thought the woman was part of the media contingent and was approaching him ahead of the press conference.

"She was amongst the other group of journalists and I thought she was just one of the journalists approaching me to say 'we're ready to go' or something along those lines, and I completely wasn't paying attention," he said.

"Next thing I know, she whacked me in the chest and I was caught off balance and over I went.

"She was well presented, she was talking to the other journalists. I thought she was just part of that crew."

Victoria Police said the woman was interviewed by officers following her arrest and is expected to be charged with assault.

No comments: