Monday, 4 January 2016

Malaysian Father Sells His Own Daughter For Money

ByEsmond Lee
TIMES ARE HARD MONEY IS HARD TO COME BY THESE DAYS- NO DOUBT. BUT WOULD YOU SELL YOUR OWN DAUGHTER FOR MONEY?
Two-year-old toddler, Angie Tiong from Johor Baru who was allegedly reported to be ‘missing’ by her father, has been confirmed to be living in Singapore with a couple, the China Press reported.

According to the daily, Angie is currently living with a childless couple, who are in their mid 40s, in Singapore- though the identity of the couple remains unknown.


The father, who has a long history of drug abuse, had previously lodged a police report a month after his daughter ‘went missing’, claiming he only realised she had been kidnapped after she did not return from a walk she had taken with his friend.


In his report lodged on December 10th, the father said a male friend of his had taken Angie for a walk from his room at a budget hotel in Jalan Maju at Johor’s Taman Pelangi on November 11th. Before they left for the walk, he said the friend had given him a “few thousand ringgit”.

When the rest of Angie’s relatives found out that she had been ‘kidnapped’, they questioned her father for details on what happened and felt suspicious when he gave them contradicting statements about her disappearance.

After being pushed to the edge, the father finally confessed that he sold his daughter off to a middleman for RM12, 000.

He confessed to have brought his daughter to a lawyer firm where he received RM12, 000 after signing a custodial agreement to a middleman who then sold her to the childless couple from Singapore.

According to the girls’ relatives, who had been taking care of her, Angie’s father took her away from them on Nov 9, claiming that he was taking her out to play.

But when he did not return the girl, they filed a police report early this month, the Oriental Daily reported.

Tiong Mei Ling, the aunt of Angie, who learnt about the news, hoped that the couple would return her niece to her family.

“We suspected that something was amiss when he gave us contradicting statements about the girl’s disappearance.” Said Ms Tiong.

Ms Tiong promised that her family would be more than happy to return the RM12, 000 (S$3, 957) to the couple who ‘bought’ her niece.

Police have detained three suspects for questioning- a cook, a labourer and an unemployed man- all of which are aged between 30 and 33 years, to aid their investigation of the ‘kidnapping’ and are looking for more leads.

A missing children alert has been issued for Angie, who is listed as being 100cm tall and weighing 10kg since she was last seen.

A notice about the girl’s disappearance was also posted on the official Education Ministry Facebook page on December 28th.

What do you think of this incident? Let us know.

No comments: