Tuesday 19 January 2016

WHY THE WOMAN RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT J. LO VERSACE DRESS IS NOW DESIGNING THE PERFECT T-SHIRT

"I have always had an innate understanding that I need to love what I do."

By Ruthie Friedlander
Working women get all sorts of advice. Lean in, lean out, ask for a raise, but don't ask in the wrong way, be aggressive, but not too aggressive. We're also told to make sure not to forget about our personal lives, lest we end up foregoing families or love or travel or friendship in service of our careers. It's confusing and maddening, and we're all still struggling to figure it out.

"This Woman's Work" is an ongoing series meant to highlight how women in different industries are living their lives. We hope to show that there's no one "right" way to succeed. There are so many ways, and so many different experiences.


Today, we're talking to Andrea Lieberman founder and designer of contemporary ready-to-wear brand, A.L.C. After many years as a successful celebrity stylist, working primarily with musicians like Gwen Stefani and Jennifer Lopez (she's responsible for putting J. Lo in that Versace dress), Lieberman was ready to "settle down" and design her own line. In 2009, she launched A.L.C., an editor-beloved line of classic, easy pieces that transition easily from day to night. Here, Lieberman tells us how she gets it all done.

Describe a typical work day.
  • 6 a.m. - Wake up
  • 7 a.m. - Out the door with my daughter in hand
  • After school drop off, I jump on a call with my New York sales team to review weekly selling goals, upcoming season lines, and the retail climate as a whole.
  • 8 a.m. – In the office for an early morning meeting with A.L.C.'s president. We spend the next hour recapping everything from our overall business strategy to the perfect T-shirt.
  • 10 a.m. - Daily TribeALC staff meeting. While we are still a relatively small team we are growing and I think its integral to constantly connect. Some days it's a quick touch base over coffee and other days we go deep, spending half of the day on one topic.

  • If our TribeALC meeting doesn't run too long by 11 a.m., I am immersed in a series of creative meetings: print design, sketch reviews, fittings, fabric selection, merchandising, branding etc.
  • By 4 or 5 p.m. I generally try to steal a bit of time to myself in my office to answer emails/calls and review my boards, which are my creative mecca for the season. They are made up of inspiration, color stories, fabric and house all of the sketches of pieces that are currently in works. It's where I set up the season and track its progress – it's my happy place.
  • My ultimate daily goal is to make it home for dinner, which is sadly not always the case but something I strive for. My husband generally takes the lead here. Unlike me, he is really at home in the kitchen and a truly talented chef. On the occasion I do cook, salmon and a simple salad is my go to.
How did you land your current job?

Jumping off the edge and believing I could fly. I've always been relentless. I had a vision for what my life could be and what my company could be. I never stopped believing in that vision or myself.

Describe your path before landing your current job.

I was a hardcore stylist for many years. I was always on a flight or deep in the throws of a music or movie tour and felt the time was right to settle down a bit and start my own line. I had studied fashion design at Parsons and it was always an end goal for me.

Was there a time when you asked for more responsibilities or applied for a long shot job? How did you go about it?

While not on a corporate level, my career has been made up of a series of these events. I have never believed that asking for something is the right way to go about it. Instead, if you want something, act as if you can do it. For example, when Janet Jackson asked me if I designed tours I said yes, even though I never had. I backed myself into it, worked incredibly hard, and proceeded to design tours for Gwen Stefani and Jennifer Lopez, to name a few.

A.L.C. is another prime example. While I had interned at design houses when I was at school, I had never designed for a company until I started my own line. I went for it. I sunk my teeth in. It does not mean I did not ask for help along the way. While I believe you need to architect your own destiny, knowing you are not always the expert and there is room to learn is also key.

Was there a time when you wanted less responsibility or held off on a promotion? What prompted that?

I have always had an innate understanding that I need to love what I do. While I don't believe I've ever shied away from responsibility out of fear, I have absolutely turned down opportunities that I did not feel passionately about.
Was there ever a time when you felt you were treated differently than your male coworkers?

I have traditionally worked in a female driven environment and I have always felt a different level of communication with women, an unsaid sisterhood. Whether it was styling female forces like Jennifer [Lopez], Mary J. [Blige], or Gwen [Stefani], or designing for the A.L.C. woman, there is an innate understanding of the emotion behind dressing. There is a desire to look good, feel good, and above all else present as one's self. Understanding those needs is intrinsic to what we do and how we think at A.L.C.

What do you do for self-care?

I am very low maintenance. I wash my face morning and night, always exfoliate, and apply sunscreen daily. I am also addicted to Dr. Lancer products and facials. In terms of exercise, I try to make it to SoulCycle and hot yoga a few times a week.

What advice would you give someone who wanted to have your job some day?

Understand all aspects of the business and be humble. Know that one day you will be sitting at a board meeting with some of the smartest people you have come across and the next day you may have to take out the trash. Never be scared of getting your hands dirty or hard work. Above all else make sure that what drives you is passion and an innate love for what you are doing.

No comments: